Today is Good Friday.
While for some, that may just be a meaningless event pre-written on the calendar, it is much more to me.
This weekend defines the existence of my entire life. For it is on Good Friday that I remember the truth of my total depravity:
I focus not only on my depravity and insufficiency, but on Jesus:
This week, I have been consciously working to meditate on the Gospel – the truths mentioned above. And while the Gospel is the story of Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection, I choose to take the week leading up to Easter Sunday to focus on my sin & Jesus’ death for it.
One resource that has been helpful to me in this area is a small devotional book entitled Gospel Meditations for Women.
Written by Chris Anderson & Joe Tyrpak, this devotional book is small, but packed with Scripture and practical applications of the Gospel to my daily life as a woman. Divided into 31 days, each reading contains 4 things:
- a Scripture passage to read,
- one verse to focus on,
- an explanation of the passage, and
- one specific way in which the Gospel should influence your life today.
I do not consistently use devotional books for my daily time with God. However, I have found them to be extremely profitable during certain seasons of my life (such as giving birth). When the rest of my life is abnormal, it is a blessing to have one constant time in my day.
If you would like to buy this book, you can find it here. They are $2.50 each with $5 shipping. My suggestion? Buy extra and give them as gifts. My sister-in-law gave me this book and I kept sending her random texts telling her how much I was enjoying the book.
Now for the good part. I e-mailed Chris Anderson and asked if he would consider giving a copy of this devotional book away to one of you. He kindly said yes! I wish each one of you could win it because this book has been such a blessing to me. But at least one of you will get it!
Here are the details:
- to enter: leave a comment on this post.
- bonus points: tell me 1 word that you would use to describe the Gospel.
- open to: anyone in the USA.
- giveaway ends: Thursday night, 4/12/12, at 11:59pm EST.
- what you win: 1 copy of Gospel Meditations for Women.
- details: winner chosen via random.org & announced next Friday, 4/13/12.
Giveaway now closed. Thanks for all who entered!